The building began as a simple flat-roofed brick construction, built as a workshop in 1937 by Charles Winlove a furniture maker and publican, whose family owned a few properties nearby.
After Winlove’s death the building stood empty for 20 years, containing the remnants of the workshop carpentry tools and his nephew’s E-type Jaguar.
Sandy Heslop and Veronica Sekules bought it in 2013, spotting its potential as gallery and living space, with its industrial spaces, high ceilings and lots of windows. Two years of complex negotiations with heritage and planning authorities followed.
Hudson architects were commissioned to design its conversion, adding a third storey hudsonarchitects.co.uk
The building has been finally transformed with the further help of Conisbee engineers conisbee.co.uk and local builders Norfolk Building Co. thenorfolkbuildingco.co.uk
GroundWork’s main gallery is on the ground floor, used for changing exhibitions.
The upper floors contain a studio flat, with kitchen, living and sleeping areas, terrace and workshop space. It is also used for display of crafts, pictures, textiles and occasional gallery events.
The Penthouse provides a comfortable suite to rent which sleeps from 2-4 people, with beautiful views of central King's Lynn, the Custom House and Quay.